Cloud LMS Software Buyers Guide
Last updated: October 03, 2023
In today's fiercely competitive business landscape, empowering employees with the necessary skills and knowledge is essential for organizational growth and innovation. According to Glint's Employee Well-Being 2021 Report, employees consider ongoing training and development as a key factor that defines an exceptional work environment.
Cloud-based Learning Management System (LMS) offers a flexible and scalable solution to deliver effective training to employees anytime, anywhere, and on any device. By leveraging this technology, organizations can streamline training programs, reduce administrative overheads, and offer personalized learning experiences that lead to higher engagement, retention, and ROI.
In this buyer’s guide, we will help you navigate through the sea of cloud LMS options and choose the one that fits your organization's unique requirements. We will also take you through the essential features, functionalities, and considerations that you need to keep in mind.
Here's what you will find inside:
What Is Cloud LMS?
Cloud-based LMS, also known as SaaS or web-based LMS software, is a learning management system that enables organizations to easily manage and deliver online training and educational content. Unlike traditional on-premise systems, cloud LMS platforms are hosted and maintained by the software provider, allowing organizations to save on hardware, maintenance, and IT costs.
These tools empower organizations to create and deliver effective training programs, track employee certifications, assess knowledge retention, and measure learner engagement, all in one place.
Furthermore, cloud LMS software offer cost-effective, scalable solutions that can be accessed on a monthly or annual subscription basis. This makes it possible for organizations to easily provide high-quality training and education to learners worldwide without the need for expensive hardware or infrastructure.
Which Online LMS User Category Do You Belong To?
When it comes to cloud-based Learning Management Systems (LMS), there are two primary categories of users:
- Corporate Trainers
- Educational Professionals
1. Corporate Trainers
Cloud-based LMS platforms are a popular choice for corporate trainers looking to develop their workforce or train external groups. Here are a few features to consider when selecting an LMS for this category:
- Extended Enterprise Functionality: This feature allows custom branding of the e-learning experience to different learner audiences. It is especially useful when training external groups such as channel partners or customers
- Gamification Features: Features such as badges and leaderboards can increase course participation and motivation
- Compliance Management: Compliance is essential for corporate training. Look for an LMS that offers compliance tracking and reporting features to ensure regulatory requirements are met
2. Educational Professionals
As schools and universities adopt cloud-based LMS solutions to deliver their curriculum to students, there are a few features to look for that can enhance the learning experience:
- Course Management: Efficiently managing course content and assignments is crucial for education professionals. Look for tools that offer features such as automated grading, course scheduling, and student progress tracking
- Social Learning Functionality: Consider platforms that offer class forums and student blogs to encourage student engagement and collaboration
- Responsive Design: With the growing prevalence of mobile learning, it's important to choose an LMS with a responsive design that adapts to different screen sizes and devices
Why Do Organizations Consider Cloud LMS Software?
Cloud LMS software solutions are becoming increasingly popular among organizations of all sizes and industries. This is due to their numerous advantages, including increased accessibility, flexibility, and scalability.
In this section, we will delve into why organizations should consider adopting cloud-based LMS to take their training programs to the next level.
Cloud-based LMS can significantly reduce training costs. It eliminates the need for physical classroom training, reduces travel expenses, and decreases the need for printing and shipping training materials. Moreover, the pay-as-you-go model of these tools allows organizations to pay only for the features they need without any upfront costs.
2. Reduced IT Overhead
One of the primary benefits of using cloud LMS technology is that it eliminates the need for in-house IT infrastructure and support. This benefit allows organizations to focus on their core competencies and leave the technical aspects of their training programs to the software provider.
3. Enhanced Accessibility
These cloud-based learning platforms provide learners with the flexibility to access training materials and resources from anywhere and at any time. They can complete their training courses at their own pace and convenience, regardless of their location.
Cloud-based learning management system offers organizations the ability to scale their training programs as per their changing needs. Companies can easily add or remove users, courses, and resources without worrying about the underlying infrastructure.
5. Improved Data Security
Most SaaS LMS providers have stringent security measures in place to safeguard their clients' data. They use encryption, firewalls, and other security protocols to protect data from unauthorized access, theft, or breaches.
6. Faster Implementation
Online training software can be implemented much faster than traditional on-premises systems. With cloud-based LMS, organizations can start their training programs quickly, without the need for complex software installations or customizations. Additionally, these programs come with a range of pre-built templates, content libraries, and other resources that businesses can use to launch their training programs quickly.
Common Features Needed In Cloud-Based LMS
As you search for a cloud LMS that will work for your organization, it's important to consider the specific features that are essential for your learning needs. Each vendor offers different functionalities, so doing your research is critical to finding an LMS that will meet your requirements.
Here we will go over the key features you should look for when selecting a cloud-based learning management system.
How To Decide Which Online LMS Is Best For You?
We have listed our simple five-point criteria below to help you with your decision-making process.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Put a tick against these basic cloud LMS design benchmarks.
- Shortlist your top five contenders; test them individually or collectively.
We have also compiled a list of top cloud-based LMS applications in this buyer’s guide that can help you get started with your analysis.
See the checklist below and remember that the software with the most checks wins (our recommendation for you is to go ahead with the steps listed below).
Cloud LMS Software Evaluation List
- Does the software work with your business size/user headcount?
- What is its required level of tech expertise (only built for technical professionals)?
- Is it easy to integrate/connect with third-party tools you already have in your tech stack?
- Does it fit your budget (expensive or cost-effective)?
- Is it accessible (easy or difficult for non-technical users to get started with)?
Now, you need to narrow your choice to one cloud learning management system. Visit its product profile page – use our search bar above – to watch demo or get pricing (accurate, updated, custom plan figures tailored to your organization) so you can get subscribed quickly.
Cloud LMS Software Pricing
Cloud-based learning management system pricing is typically based on a subscription model, with costs varying depending on the number of users, features, and level of support required.
Many providers offer tiered pricing plans that provide varying levels of functionality at different price points, while others may charge based on the number of active users. In addition to this, some vendors may charge additional fees for services such as customization, data migration, and training.
The pricing for these tools typically falls in this range:
$5 per month per user to $500 per month
However, this is just a rough estimate and the actual pricing may vary based on the specific features and functionality offered by the software. It's recommended that you research and compare multiple options before making a decision.
For more pricing information, call us at (661) 384-7070 to get a custom, updated pricing guide tailored to your organization.
Best Cloud-Based LMS Software: Our Top 5 Picks!
Choosing the right learning management system is a crucial decision for any organization, as it can impact the quality of learning and development programs. To help you make an informed choice, we have researched and identified the top 5 cloud-based LMS software options available.
Let's take a closer look at our top picks and find the perfect fit for your business.
1. 360Learning Software
360Learning is a cloud-based LMS that provides a collaborative and social learning model for organizations. It offers a user-friendly interface, customization options, real-time analytics, and reporting tools to create, manage and deliver courses, quizzes, and other learning materials to employees. Its mobile-friendly approach allows learners to access the platform and their learning materials from any device.
Moreover, the platform offers a range of customization options that allow organizations to tailor their online courses to meet their specific needs.
- Team: $8/registered user/per month
- Business: Custom Pricing (contact us at (661) 384-7070 to confirm pricing)
- Employee Onboarding: Automate the onboarding process with customized learning paths and role-specific training, promote active and meaningful engagement through collaborative activities and feedback
- Compliance Training: Automate and manage mandatory training requirements, track progress, and generate compliance reports to ensure regulatory compliance
- Gamification Features: Use gamification elements such as points, badges, and leaderboards to increase engagement and motivate learners to complete courses
- Course Creation and Management: Easily create, customize, and publish courses using a variety of multimedia resources, and manage course enrollment, progress tracking, and assessments from a centralized dashboard
Pros And Cons
|User-friendly and intuitive interface||Steep learning curve for new users|
|Flexible course authoring and content creation options|
|Robust reporting and analytics capabilities|
2. TalentLMS Software
TalentLMS is a cloud-based LM software that simplifies the creation and delivery of online courses and training programs. It provides a user-friendly platform that is accessible anytime, anywhere, and from any device. The program supports a variety of content formats, including SCORM and Tin Can API, and allows for the creation of custom learning paths and certifications.
Overall, TalentLMS provides a comprehensive solution that can support an employee's growth and development throughout their career with an organization.
- Starter: $69/month
- Basic: $149/month
- Plus: $279/month
- Premium: $459/month
- Enterprise: Custom Pricing (Contact us to confirm pricing)
- Talent Library: Access over 700 expert-authored courses for upskilling your team's work-related skills
- Course Management: Create courses from scratch using various media types, including presentations, videos, and documents
- Communication Tools: Keep learners engaged and on track using discussion forums, private messaging, and a calendar
- Reporting: Monitor everything happening in your account using an in-depth report builder and timeline for comprehensive insights
Pros And Cons
|Easy to use and navigate for both instructors and learners||Some users report slow customer support response times|
|Integrates with various third-party tools|
|Offers mobile access for learners to access courses on-the-go|
3. Docebo Software
Docebo is a cutting-edge cloud LMS that combines the best of AI and social learning to support continuous learning in organizations. The platform automates learning management tasks, promotes informal learning in the flow of work, and delivers tailored learner experiences to achieve deeper learning outcomes and drive business growth.
It provides an array of advanced features that enable organizations to create engaging and effective learning experiences for their employees, customers, and partners.
- Pricing not disclosed publicly (Contact us to receive a quote tailored to your organization)
- Mobile Learning: Access and engage with learning activities on-the-go via mobile devices
- LMS Integrations: Seamlessly connect with other tools and systems through Docebo Connect
- Social Learning: Foster a culture of collaborative learning and knowledge sharing through real-time Q&A and expert interaction
- Gamification: Motivate learners through game-like features such as badges, points, and leaderboards
Pros And Cons
|Easy-to-use interface||Pricing can be expensive for small businesses|
|Multi-language support for global organizations|
|Robust reporting and analytics features|
SkyPrep is an online learning management system designed to help organizations of all sizes manage their training and educational programs. The software provides a user-friendly interface that allows users to create and manage online courses, assessments, and certifications, as well as track employee progress and performance.
It supports various file formats, including videos, PDFs, and PowerPoint presentations, making it easy for trainers and educators to create engaging and interactive content.
- Lite: Custom Pricing (contact us at (661) 384-7070 to confirm pricing)
- Professional: Custom Pricing (contact us to confirm pricing)
- Enterprise: Custom Pricing (contact us to confirm pricing)
- Course Creation: Easily create courses and deliver training material through a streamlined program that utilizes various assessment styles and media types
- User Management: Efficiently segment users into appropriate groups and enroll them in relevant training courses for more targeted training
- Reporting And Analytics: Gain insight into assessment results, learner progress, and more
- Enterprise-Grade Security: Keep data and user information safe with top-notch security measures implemented by SkyPrep
Pros And Cons
|Easy-to-use interface||Limited options for gamification and interactive features|
|Customizable branding and styling options|
|Integrates with popular third-party tools|
5. Schoox Software
Schoox is a cloud-based workplace learning platform that provides an all-in-one solution for training, development, and certification of employees. It offers a user-friendly interface that simplifies the creation, management, and delivery of learning content for employees, customers, partners, and more.
The software also features social learning tools that encourage collaboration and knowledge-sharing among employees, and a robust reporting system that provides valuable insights into employee performance and engagement.
- Custom Pricing (Contact us to receive a custom quote tailored to your company)
- Compliance Training: Ensure regulatory compliance with customizable training programs and assessments
- Talent Development: Provide personalized learning paths, skill assessments, and certification management to help employees reach their full potential
- Employee Onboarding: Streamline the onboarding process with automated workflows and customizable training content
- Reporting Tools: Gain real-time insights and analytics to track employee progress, identify knowledge gaps, and measure the impact of training programs
Pros And Cons
|Flexible and customizable course creation||Basic gamification options compared to other LMS platforms|
|Social learning features for collaboration and engagement|
|Mobile app for learning on-the-go|
Frequently Asked Questions
Why cloud-based LMS?
A cloud-based LMS provides greater flexibility, scalability, accessibility, and security compared to traditional on-premise solutions. It allows organizations to easily manage their training programs, add or remove users, courses, and features, and access training materials from any device with an internet connection. Additionally, cloud LMS systems typically have enhanced security features, ensuring that sensitive training data is protected.
Is Google Classroom a cloud-based LMS?
Yes, Google Classroom is a cloud-based Learning Management System (LMS) that allows teachers to create, distribute, and grade assignments, as well as communicate with students in a secure online environment. This means that it can be accessed from any device with an internet connection, and it stores all data and files on remote servers instead of on a local computer or network.
What is cloud vs on-premise LMS?
A cloud LMS is a software application that is hosted on remote servers and accessed through the internet. This means that users can access the LMS from any device with an internet connection, without the need for on-premise hardware or software installation. On the other hand, an on-premise LMS is installed and hosted locally on an organization's own servers or computers. It requires dedicated IT resources and ongoing maintenance and updates.
Is Google LMS free?
Google does not offer a standalone Learning Management System (LMS) called "Google LMS." However, Google does offer Google Classroom, a free cloud-based LMS for schools and educators. Google Classroom provides teachers with a platform to create, distribute, and grade assignments, as well as communicate with students in a secure online environment.
What are the benefits of cloud-based?
Cloud-based solutions offer several benefits, including greater flexibility, scalability, accessibility, and security. With cloud-based solutions, users can access applications and data from any device with an internet connection, allowing for remote work and collaboration. Cloud-based solutions also offer the ability to scale resources up or down as needed, allowing for more efficient use of computing resources.
Choosing the right cloud LMS is crucial for a smooth and effective learning process, whether you are training employees, educating customers and partners, or teaching students. It is important to weigh the features and capabilities of each software, like customization, scalability, and data security, to find one that fits your organization's requirements.
At Software Finder, we understand that this can be a complex and overwhelming process. That's why we are here to offer our expertise and support to help you find the best cloud LMS for your business.
Schedule a free consultation with us at (661) 384-7070 to learn more about cloud-based learning management systems and get personalized recommendations based on your unique needs.