LMS for Schools Buyers Guide
Last updated: December 05, 2023
According to the Global Partnership for Education (GPE), around 68% of the global, eligible population of children were enrolled in school as of 2022 – representing upward of 260 out of 387 million progressing through the primary grades in their budding scholastic career.
This statistic, in addition to the remote communications/work-fostering impact of COVID, brings the necessity of solid learning management systems (LMS) for learning programs into stark relief.
As the sociopolitical situation of countries around the world – most particularly in several developing countries – deteriorates on a range of monitored benchmarks (the most pressing of which concern the psychoemotional and physical safety of students of all ages), educational institutions can no longer shy away from the requirement of having robust learning management software/a virtual learning environment in place to cater to all exigencies.
The vast deluge of LMS for schools available in the online marketplace, however, makes it difficult for online-learning providers – especially those new to the field – to pick a suitable learning platform from the lot.
This buyer’s guide is our expert-led attempt to help with this issue; covering such topics as:
Defining Learning Management Systems for Schooling
A learning management system geared for both remote learning and in-person/traditional school sessions is simply:
A blended learning enabler that combines highly accessible technology (irrespective of spatial confines and restrictions of time) and the administrative prowess of the teaching administrator; equipping learners with the advantage of both instructor-led training and recorded – duly updated – online courses so that their educational careers remain uninterrupted under every external condition.
And as any tutor can attest, the promise of this new-age mode of ‘mobile learning’ (also called ‘distance mentoring’) is huge.
For many, in fact, it represents the future of education as we know it: an entrenchment of personalized learning over more historical, autocratic, modes of knowledge engagement.
Why Schools – Increasingly – Need Dedicated LMS Platforms for Better Student Outcomes
The list of exigencies that have made learning management systems for schools an endemic requirement for pursuing better educational outcomes doesn’t end with sudden emergencies like the pandemic, however. There’s also the very real threat of an exploding global population demographic to consider, which makes any long-standing investment into brick-and-mortar student engagement setups a pointless concern.
Online learning, then, which connects teachers, pupils, and their course/training materials, is – practically – the only way to move forward; if the issue of transnational literacy is to be addressed seriously. LMS software, as such, presents a quick, logical solution to making the most out of this opening.
As classrooms (including online classes) expand in size across the board with unprecedented levels of student enrollment, the need for efficiently organizing all learner/trainer information has become starker. The risk of human failure, which has pretty much characterized every zero-mechanization organizational system, historically, is too great of a problem to be left ignored in the virtual classroom setting; an issue that popular learning management systems help ameliorate.
There’s also the vital issue of tracking both learner and trainer performance; especially for educational institutions operating on a budget and looking to identify pedagogical approaches that yield the highest rates of success.
There are many other perks for scholastic enterprises subscribed to a decent LMS software, but the ones mentioned here amount to being those that get most frequently reported by reviewers on the internet.
Common School Learning Management System Features
Now, there isn’t a lot of variation in the central function of school (or other) learning management systems – since most are motivated toward the same end. But the popular examples of LMS platforms in the domain are all characterized by the distinct USPs that set them apart from the competition.
Here, we’ve attempted to list all of the similarities that normally come associated with learning management systems geared for school setups:
Typical School Learning Management System Attributes
Popular integrations carried in these training platforms include:
- Google Classroom
- D2L Brightspace
- Microsoft Education
Please note that this is not a comprehensive list.
How to Pick the Right Learning Management Software for Your School Setting
As a newbie field entrant – or even as a veteran – it’s normal to be overwhelmed by all the LMS options available for school-wide implementations. New distance-learning platforms are released every day; some of which are exact, clever replicas of several popular tools.
Our software evaluation framework, given below, helps cut through the noise; speeding up the process of learning platform shortlisting so you can get subscribed to the right program quickly.
To start, simply evaluate your chosen software on each of the criteria cues given. The LMS with the most ‘ticks’ is your clear winner: our recommendation for you to go ahead with a sign-up.
School LMS Software Evaluation List
Once narrowed to one contender, please head over to the platform’s dedicated Software Finder profile page for everything you need to know about the subscription using the search bar at the top of this page (enter software name and go).
Here, you want to pay special attention to the software ‘Get Pricing’ and ‘Watch Demo’ offers: recommended options that will let you size up your chosen tool in advance/before making any contractual commitments.
If you come up with a tie, please get in touch with our friendly helpline executives at (661) 384-7070 for some quick, targeted, and free advice on the LMS or other software options most suited to your organizational needs and budget.
If you’re on a restricted financial allowance, you can always start with a free plan offer provided by a number of popular learning management system vendors. These subscriptions tend to be very limited in their functional scope, however; allowing users to only conduct a bare minimum of learning-oriented workflow activities.
A much better and more long-term option is to go for a paid subscription (which comes with the potential to scale and pursue serious, complex work).
For paid school LMS offers, you can expect to pay anywhere in the following – approximate – range:
Pricing plans start at $3/user/month to upward of $4500/month (for enterprise-level subscriptions)
When considering a paid offer, it’s also a good idea to sign up for any trial-period options whenever available.
Our Top 5 Recommendations
Listing in no order of priority (and based on aggregated user reviews, software price ratings, and ease-of-use parameters recorded on our platform):
- Cortex Learn LMS
- Abara LMS
- Auzmor Learn
Let’s explore each in detail.
Cortex Learn LMS
Cortex Learn LMS is a cloud-based learning management system designed for small to medium organizations. It provides an integrated student information and learning management system with an enhanced grade book, dynamic sections, data-driven instruction, and shareable content.
The program is easy to use and allows users to create and run their own e-learning courses. It also comes with a built-in e-content creation tool that enables schools to quickly build interactive learning solutions with learner completion tracking.
- Standard ($1.5*/year. – enterprise subscription)
* Ballpark figure; go to our Cortex Learn LMS Software Profile Page and click ‘Get Pricing’ to obtain updated, custom pricing figures narrowly suited to your learning initiative.
- Cost-Effective (As a cost-effective LMS, Cortex Learn offers a range of pricing plans to suit any budget, and its user-friendly interface makes it easy to set up and manage courses both quickly and efficiently)
- E-Content Creation Tool (The platform's e-content creation tool allows schools to build dynamic, interactive learning and quiz solutions with ease. This feature allows teachers to create engaging content that can be easily tracked and monitored for learner completion)
- Customisable (Cortex Learn LMS is highly customizable, allowing educational setups to tailor their training program according to their specific needs. The platform also offers a range of features such as assessments, surveys, reports, and more that can be used to measure student performance and progress)
|Blended Learning||Limited-to-none native video conferencing capabilities|
|Top-Rated Course/Learner Progress Tracking|
Abara is a modern, mobile-first, LMS designed for schools.
Abara, which means 'coach' in Igbo, provides an agile platform with 60+ features and inbuilt integrations to help schools manage their learning activities and train students.The Abara App, further, is lightweight with an awesome UI, making it easy to use on any device.
Using the platform, schools can create courses and track student progress while providing specialized training for their dynamic student population.
- Micro ($420*/mo. – 50 users)
- Small ($600*/mo. – 100 users)
- Medium ($900*/mo. – 250 users)
- Big ($1400*/mo. – 500 users)
- Large ($1800*/mo. – 1000 users)
- Enterprise (Contact to Confirm – 1000+ users)
* Ballpark figure; go to our Abara LMS Software Profile Page and click ‘Get Pricing’ to obtain updated, custom pricing figures narrowly suited to your learning initiative.
- Mobile-First Design (Abara LMS has been designed with mobile-first technology, making it easy for schools to access their training materials on any device. This makes it easier for students and teachers to access learning materials and complete/administer courses while on the go)
- Inbuilt Integrations (The platform comes with inbuilt integrations that allow schooling establishments to easily integrate their existing systems with the platform. This helps them streamline their learner training processes and make sure that all students have access to the same materials and resources)
- 60+ Features (Abara LMS offers over 60 features, including analytics, reporting, content authoring tools, assessments, surveys, and more. These features help schools create engaging learning experiences for their pupils and track their progress throughout the course of their training program)
|School-first design||A little costly for smaller setups|
|Support for teachers/system administrators|
Auzmor LMS is designed to help schools develop, deliver, and track training for their students. It comes packed with features such as social learning, robust reporting, multiple content creation tools, and more. The platform also offers blended learning capabilities, allowing schools to create a hybrid learning experience that caters to all learning styles.
- Standard ($3000*/mo. – enterprise subscription)
* Ballpark figure; go to our Auzmor Learn Software Profile Page and click ‘Get Pricing’ to obtain updated, custom pricing figures narrowly suited to your learning initiative.
- Content Creation & Delivery (Auzmor Learn comes packed with a variety of content creation tools, allowing you to easily create engaging courses and deliver them to your students. You can also upload existing content from other sources, such as videos, documents, and images)
- Robust Reporting (With this functionality, you can track student progress and get insight into their learning trends. This allows you to identify areas where learners need more help or guidance and make sure they're on track to meet their/your set goals)
- Social Learning (Auzmor Learn's social learning feature makes it easy for learners to collaborate and share their knowledge. This helps foster a culture of learning within your schooling environment and encourages students to learn from each other)
|Great Learner Tracking||Credit card subscription
payments can be tricky
|Stellar customer support|
Tovuti LMS provides an easy-to-use, all-in-one platform that simplifies the process of creating courses and engaging learners. With its adaptive, people-first approach, Tovuti LMS integrates technology, data, and content to foster growth and higher performance in students. It offers a variety of features such as customizable course creation, interactive learning experiences, detailed analytics, and more. Plus, it's backed by a team of learning experts who are always available to provide support when needed.
With Tovuti LMS, schools can create engaging online learning experiences that will help their students reach their full potential.
- Standard Plans (Starting $775*/mo. for 50 users)
* Ballpark figure; go to our Tovuti Software Profile Page and click ‘Get Pricing’ to obtain updated, custom pricing figures narrowly suited to your learning initiative.
- Easy-to-use Interface (The interface of Tovuti is easy to use and intuitive, allowing school teachers/administrators to swiftly create courses, involve learners, and monitor progress)
- Secure & Compliant (The LMS complies with HIPAA, GDPR, and CCPA, which means that your data is safe and protected from unauthorized access)
- Adaptive Learning Platform (Tovuti's adaptive learning platform enables schools to customize their training programs to meet the specific needs of their learners. This helps to ensure that each learner receives personalized instruction that is suited to their unique requirements)
|Top-rated LMS backed by user reviews||Slight concerns reported with non-intuitive design|
|Stellar User Support|
Looop LMS is a next-generation learning management system designed to make it easier than ever for schools to deliver effective employee training. It offers a modern user experience with features such as unlimited uploads of videos and pictures, automated training reminders, and campaigns that work like any robust learner communications tool.
With Looop, schools can transform their Learning & Development (L&D) departments and provide learners with direct access to content via their inbox, app, SMS, or team chat. Additionally, Looop provides customer feedback and a shift from courses to resources.
- Small Business* (50 users)
- Mid-Size Business* (250 users)
- Enterprise* (500 users)
- Enterprise+* (More than 500 users)
* Go to our Looop LMS Software Profile Page and click ‘Get Pricing’ to obtain updated, custom pricing figures narrowly suited to your learning initiative.
- Scalability (Looop LMS is designed to scale with your school’s growth, allowing you to easily add new learners and content as needed)
- Performance Tracking (The software allows you to track the performance of your learners in real time, giving you valuable insights into how they are performing and where they need improvement. This helps you ensure that your schooling establishment is running at its best)
- Customization (With Looop LMS, you can customize the look and feel of your learning platform to match the branding of your scholastic enterprise. This ensures that learners have a consistent experience when using the platform, which helps them stay engaged and motivated throughout their learning journey)
|Awesome customer support||‘User Insights’ reporting could be better|
|Highly accessible learning|
|Stellar integrations with other software|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. What LMS do most schools use?
The LMS systems preferred most by schools include Google Classroom, D2L Brightspace, Canvas LMS, Docebo, Schoology, TalentLMS, LearnWorlds, Learning Pool, Moodle, and Blackboard (many of which can be subscribed to through this platform).
Q. What is an LMS for schools?
An LMS (Learning Management System) for schools is a software platform designed to facilitate online learning and course management in educational settings. It provides teachers with the tools they need to create, manage, and track courses, assignments, tests, and other materials. It also helps students stay organized by providing them with access to their course materials and assignments.
Some of the features of an LMS for schools include content delivery, assessment tools, collaboration tools, analytics and reporting capabilities, and more.
Q. Is Google Classroom an LMS system?
Google Classroom is a web-based learning environment, but it is not a Learning Management System (LMS) per se.
The platform offers a simple and safe way for teachers to oversee, evaluate, and enhance learning. It enables teachers to rapidly make and arrange assignments, give feedback effectively, and monitor students' advancement.
Google allows students to work together with teachers and classmates in real-time. However, it does not offer the same features as an LMS system, such as monitoring student progress across various classes or providing advanced analytics.
Q. How many schools use learning management systems?
Learning management systems are becoming increasingly popular in schools, as they provide a platform for the delivery of online courses and programs.
According to research conducted by another popular software aggregator platform, over 70% of K-12 schools in the United States use an LMS. Additionally, many universities have adopted learning management systems to facilitate distance learning and provide students with access to course materials.
Q. Does LMS software improve schools/learners’ performance in terms of academic success?
Studies have shown that Learning Management Systems (LMS) can bring a number of long-term benefits to schools and universities. These include improved grades, reduced student anxiety, and cost savings for the school. An LMS can also provide insights into student performance, which can help instructors adjust their teaching methods to better meet the needs of their students.
In addition, an LMS offers learners the chance to engage with their learning in a more meaningful way. Tools such as discussion boards and online quizzes allow students to voice opinions and be heard, while personalized learning paths help motivate them to stay on track.
Before We Part…Some Final Advice
If you need help selecting the right LMS software for your school, don't worry!
Our helpline reps are available at (661) 384-7070 to provide targeted advice on LMS tools/subscriptions that meet your specific needs.
We'll take care of everything and help you find your best match quickly.