Construction Project Management Software Buyers Guide
Last updated: June 07, 2023
As with any modern-day, commercially-geared, setup, construction firms can’t go far – business-wise – without dedicated project management software to see to their day-to-day wares. The costs of doing business without this necessary implementation, simply put, are too squarely in the overall ‘loss territory’ to be considered seriously.
But with the overwhelming variety of free and subscription options available in the online consumer marketplace, how do you pick the best construction management software for your buck from the lot
And how exactly do you envision ‘best’ in a relative, practical sense guaranteed to fulfill all your workflow requirements while shoring up the all-important business bottom line?
Well, in this expert-curated buyer’s guide, we discuss these things and more, focusing on concerns such as:
Table of Contents
We hope to empower you with our (free) knowledge and years-backed expertise to enable your right sign-up choice.
Let’s get started.
What is construction project management software?
Construction project management software, in a nutshell, comprises any digital automation tool that:
Automates, streamlines, and ensures scale of construction firm/project workflows – focused toward the strategizing, executive oversight, and fulfillment of either profit-oriented or public welfare goals via infrastructure development of all forms.
Further, construction management software is broadly divided into the overlapping tiers of those meant for:
- Large, multi-dimensional/-client, developmental enterprises
- Small Enterprises
- Only construction-process-oriented (with limited/basic project management features)
- Those that offer full-suite business administration for construction projects
If you’re a small construction project team with limited project budgets, you definitely want to start with the former tools option for your task management.
If, however, you’re an established construction business with multiple project managers and developmental undertakings, subscribing to the latter category of advanced construction management tools is pretty much a no-brainer.
New AI and machine-learning integrations, which are part-and-parcel of our world circa 2023 (and easily beyond), will make smaller-build and comparatively inexpensive construction project management tools more appealing for all organizational backdrops, though.
For general contractors and specialty contractors in the construction industry (like in any other business vertical), anything that reduces company spending for the largest offering of functionality, of course – as is understandable!
On the business need for construction management software…further arguments/reasons
We’ve already touched on the bare, realistic, necessities of subscribing to dedicated construction management software for developmental firms in these competitive times. But there are also a host of other benefits that signed-up companies can reap courtesy of their informed use.
Consider the following three, overarching, perks (we’ll touch more on these in our construction project management software features section below):
Better, more transparent, resource management
One-page document management (so every allowed construction project work is in the loop; enables smooth project-progress monitoring)
Robust, minute, financial tracking (to ensure more efficient ‘job costing’/no funds are wasted)
Despite the arguments for increased industrial/workplace mechanization that inundate every sphere these days, the accuracy and precision of software-handled, job-site, project executions cannot seriously be denied (facilitating a definite project quality management edge!). And we say this with a profound recognition of how the ‘human’ animates all software-solution-mediated work affairs.
Construction management processes – however they’re custom-designed for workflow management – cannot afford lapses of any sort; whether of judgment or in execution.
These ‘spaces’ of daily rigor (overseen by the industrious project manager) are where the proverbial ‘gold’ is at: opportunities for more efficient profit-making provided by project management tools that lend commercial contractors the competitive edge to one-up their peers in the field.
Construction Project Management Software: Common Features
Now, no two construction software tools are alike.
Most, however, share a common core of structure and function that allows them to be lumped under the general ‘Construction Management Tool’ category – listed as follows:
Typical Project Management Software for Construction Features
Task Management Features
Resource Management Functions
Financial Management Tools
Advanced project management solution features; may be unavailable in some basic-subscription construction project management software suites.
The standard slate of software integrations that accompany a number of construction project management tool interfaces include such notables as:
- Google Workspace
- Microsft 365
- Apple iWork
Please note that the above is not an exhaustive listing.
Picking the best project management software for construction work
As we’ve alluded to above, picking the right construction management software is not a walk in the park. And it’s not something to become despondent over – because there is a wealth of options available to suit every wallet.
What you need to quicken the shortlisting process is a tied-and-tested formula fashioned by the people in the know: how we choose to describe our experts’ five-point software evaluation formula.
Here, you simply need to weigh/analyze your chosen construction project management solutions on each of the probing cues given. The tool with the most ‘checks’ wins.
Construction Project Management Software Evaluation List
In case you come up with a tie between your considered construction software, simply head over to their dedicated profile pages through the search bar given at the top of this page (enter the software name and click).
Take note of the tool’s comparative pricing, demo screening availability, and probable trial/free plan offers.
These really help in figuring out a software application before committing to any currency exchange (the route we strongly encourage going).
If you’re a complete field newbie like many of our readers, you can get onto a great start by signing up for one of our top-five construction project management software recommendations below.
Top Construction Management Software Pricing: What to Expect
For construction project managers with tight budgets, there’s no harm in beginning the subscription journey with a free tool sign-up (a great way to size up the interface; test the waters a bit).
With cost-free solutions, however, you only get to take advantage of a handful of basic/’clipped’ project management features – which are generally not suitable for even slightly scaled workflows.
The best, long-term and sustainable/sustaining, benefit is provided by paid software solutions; where you can expect to pay anything in the following pricing range:
|Paid plans start at $3/month per member to upward of $350/month (for unlimited users)|
These are only ballpark figures, however.
To manage projects of considerable size, you could do better with a custom-priced subscription plan (negotiable with your vendor; what we at Software Finder have considerable experience in facilitating).
To get accurate, custom, plan pricing details and recommendations based on your exact company size and requirements, check out our Project Management Software Pricing Guide for 2023.
Best Construction Project Management Software: Our Recommended 5!
In order to help first-time commercial project management software users start off on the right footing, we’ve compiled a list of the top-five tools that should be on every newbie construction manager’s radar.
Our criterion for picking these options is simply based on their:
- Relative ease of use (including consideration for offered mobile apps),
- Subscription pricing,
- Customer support availability, and,
- Integrations/software connectivity
The analytical benchmarks that the bulk of our site visitors show consistent interest in.
And without any further ado…the list (in no order of priority).
- Contractor Foreman
- Houzz Pro
Let’s explore each in brief detail.
Contractor Foreman, a consistently top-rated construction management software, is designed to be user-friendly and has various features to make construction workflows easier. It is ideal for small and medium-sized general and trade contractors.
- Standard ($49*/mo. – for small startup firms)
- Plus ($87*/mo. – for small-to-medium-sized construction projects)
- Pro ($123*/mo. – for enterprise construction managers/workers)
- Unlimited ($148*/mo. – for large/multi-faced construction operations)
* Ballpark figures; go to our Contractor Foreman Software profile page and click ‘Get Pricing’ to obtain updated, custom pricing figures narrowly suited to your construction business; avail a potential free trial offer.
Contractor Foreman's top three project management features for construction workers include:
- Estimating Software Integration (the platform allows users to quickly and accurately create estimates for their projects. It includes a built-in calculator that automatically calculates costs based on materials, labor, and other factors)
- Scheduling (The scheduling feature helps users manage their projects more efficiently by allowing them to easily assign tasks and set deadlines. It also provides an overview of the progress of each task so users can stay on top of their projects)
- Accounting (Contractor Foreman's accounting feature helps users keep track of their finances by providing detailed reports on income and expenses, as well as tracking payments from clients. This makes it easier for users to manage their budgets and ensure they get paid on time)
|Affordable; value for money||Problems reported with estimationsProblems reported with estimations|
|Brilliant customer support|
FieldWire is a construction management software designed to streamline communication and project tracking for construction teams. The software allows managers and their team members to easily upload and share blueprints, assign tasks, create punch lists, and track progress in real-time. Using the platform, construction companies can minimize delays, avoid mistakes, and keep everyone on the same page throughout the entire developmental process.
- Basic (Free – for small construction teams)
- Pro ($39*/mo. – for growing teams)
- Business ($59*/mo. – for advanced user teams)
- Business Plus ($74*/mo. – for enterprise-level, multi-chain, construction projects)
* Ballpark figures; go to our FieldWire Software profile page and click ‘Get Pricing’ to obtain updated, custom pricing figures narrowly suited to your construction business; avail a potential free trial offer.
FieldWire offers a range of features for construction managers/workers that help streamline job-site management, plan viewing, issue tracking, and reporting, including these top three:
- Plan Viewing & Versioning (The plan viewing feature allows users to view plans in real-time from anywhere on any device. This helps ensure that everyone on the job site is always up-to-date with the latest plans intel)
- Issue Tracking (FieldWire's issue tracking feature enables users to easily capture, organize, and access vital project information in one place. This helps keep track of tasks and issues quickly and efficiently so that nothing falls through the cracks)
- Reporting (The tool's reporting feature provides users with real-time updates on progress so they can easily monitor their projects from start to finish. This helps ensure that all stakeholders have visibility into how their projects progress at any given time)
|User-friendly||Problems reported with fee tariffs on some plans|
|Super information accessibility|
|Great project oversight support/facilitation|
Houzz Pro is an all-in-one business management software designed for contractors and design professionals. It provides an affordable online platform with project management and marketing solutions to help streamline processes for businesses of all sizes.
- Starter ($65*/mo. – for starting construction ventures)
- Essential ($99*/mo. – for all-round business management)
- Pro ($149*/mo. – for bigger teams; financial reporting coverage)
- Ultimate ($399*/mo. – for enterprise-level construction companies; complete construction admin.)
* Ballpark figures; go to our Houzz Pro Software profile page and click ‘Get Pricing’ to obtain updated, custom pricing figures narrowly suited to your construction business; avail a potential free trial offer.
Houzz Pro software is an all-in-one business solution for construction contractors and design specialists, allowing firms to streamline their operations, increase efficiency, and maximize profits.
- Lead Management (The software provides powerful lead management tools that allow contractors to track leads, manage customer relationships and generate more business)
- Project Management (Houzz Pro's project management modules enable contractors to easily manage projects from start to finish, including estimates, scheduling, invoicing, and more)
- Life-Sized Walkthroughs (With this feature, contractors can take clients from 'whoa' to 'wow!' by using their phone (or tablet) across a room to create life-sized 3D walkthroughs of the space they are designing or remodeling)
|Unparallelled 3D Rendering||Problems reported with automated messaging|
|Superior Customer Support|
|Notable Messaging & Leads Features|
Buildertrend is a software solution that operates in the cloud with a focus on assisting construction companies in managing their projects from the beginning to the end. This platform allows construction businesses to simplify their operations, enhance communication, and keep all stakeholders well-informed throughout the entire project cycle.
- Starter ($99*/mo.)
* Ballpark figure; go to our Buildertrend Software profile page and click ‘Get Pricing’ to obtain updated, custom pricing figures narrowly suited to your construction business; avail a potential free trial offer.
Buildertrend is a cloud-based construction management software solution designed to help contractors manage their business, projects, and customers from one central location.
- Project Management (Buildertrend's project management tools allow contractors to manage all aspects of their projects, from initial lead tracking and estimation to change orders and punch lists. This feature helps keep teams on track and make sure everything gets completed on time)
- Financial Management (The platform's financial management tools enable contractors to track expenses, create invoices, and generate reports all in one place. This feature helps improve cash flow and reduce errors by keeping everything organized)
- CRM (Buildertrend's customer relationship management feature allows contractors to easily track leads, manage customer information, and communicate with clients via automated emails, text messages, and more)
|Enables systematized project management/working||Problems reported with data storage|
CoConstruct is a cloud-based construction management software designed to help custom home builders and remodelers manage projects, financials, and client communication. It provides features such as project scheduling, budgeting, task management, document sharing, and more. With the platform's intuitive interface and powerful tools, users can easily manage all aspects of their building projects from start to finish.
- Essential ($99*/mo. – ideal for scaling construction teams)
- Advanced ($399*/mo. – for builders/construction pros looking for more project oversight)
- Complete ($699*/mo. – for end-end construction management)
* Ballpark figures; go to our CoContruct Software profile page and click ‘Get Pricing’ to obtain updated, custom pricing figures narrowly suited to your construction business; avail a potential free trial offer.
CoConstruct is a construction management software solution designed to help custom home builders and remodelers manage their projects, financials, and client communication. Here are its top three features:
- Project Management (CoConstruct's project management tools enable contractors to track every aspect of their project from start to finish, including scheduling, budgeting, task management, change orders, and more. This feature helps keep everything organized and on track)
- Financial Management (The platform’s financial management tools allow contractors to manage budgets, invoices, payments, and more. This feature helps improve cash flow by providing real-time visibility into project costs and profitability)
- Client Communication (CoConstruct's client communication tools allow contractors to easily communicate with clients, share project updates, and get client approvals via a secure portal. With this feature, clients can see everything that's happening with their projects in real-time, leading to improved satisfaction and trust)
|Great change management/oversight||Problems reported with document editing|
|Continual new features addition|
|Amazing customer support|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Which software is best for construction management?
There are several construction management software solutions available in the market, and the best platform for your business depends on your specific needs and requirements. Each tool has its unique features and strengths.
Q. What software is used in construction project management?
Construction project management requires the use of specialized software to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget. There are a variety of software solutions available, including Procore, Autodesk Construction Cloud, Oracle Aconex, Buildertrend, Oracle Primavera, Contractor Foreman, CoConstruct, monday.com, Smartsheet, eSUB, and Autodesk Build (with many of these listed on this platform).
Each of these solutions offers unique features that can help construction professionals manage resources and complete projects more efficiently.
Q. What is the best way to keep track of construction projects?
Keeping track of construction projects requires a lot of attention to detail, organization, and communication. Here are some of the best ways to keep on top of the workflow:
1. Use construction management software
2. Establish clear goals and timelines
3. Regular communication with stakeholders
4. Conduct regular site visits
5. Use reporting and analytics tools
Q. What are the 7 types of construction management?
There are several types of construction management, each with its own unique approach and focus. Here are the seven most common:
1. General contracting
2. Construction management at risk
4. Integrated project delivery
5. Public-private partnerships
6. Lean construction
7. Green construction
Q. How is project management used in construction?
Project management is an essential part of construction, as it allows for efficient planning, execution, and delivery of projects. Here are some ways in which it facilitates/enables developmental undertakings:
1. Planning and scheduling
2. Resource allocation
3. Risk management
4. Cost management
5. Quality control
6. Communication and Collaboration
As a new or experienced construction project manager, we understand that it can be difficult and confusing to navigate the numerous software options available online.
That's ok - we are here to assist.
Simply contact our friendly helpline executives at (661) 384-7070 for fast, free, and effortless recommendations on project management software that suits your requirements.
We will handle everything and have you subscribed to your ideal software match in no time.